Wednesday, March 13, 2024

March Sadness: Tugs of the Season

The three weeks leading up to Noah’s deathaversary have always been harder for me than March 19th itself. Those were the days 11 years ago of bringing Noah home to heal, only to helplessly watch his decline as he refused treatment. Before mental illness robbed our family of Noah and his love, it robbed us of the chance to help him.

I used to start counting down the days to March 19 after my February birthday. Last March, I was busy preparing for the 10th death anniversary with love notes and travel plans; the anticipation of celebrating Noah’s friendships kept me hopeful, even buoyant. This year post-birthday, I got COVID and couldn’t think about loss or much of anything.

Now the familiar downward tug of March sadness is back. While trying to recover my strength, the double blow of COVID and grief has literally stopped me in my tracks. I’ll be 15 minutes into an easy neighborhood walk and need to sit down. I’ll plan two things to do in a day instead of one and need a nap by 1pm. I toss and turn all night. As in the aftermath of the suicide, the body takes a hit.

I woke up this morning with my mind on Noah and his illness. Bryan and I like to dwell on what our son might be doing if he were alive but we tend to skip over how he would have had to battle his illness or learn to manage it. So much damage had already been done to the boy we knew and loved by the time he took his life. That’s a tough truth to remember. Might he have emerged from the ordeal with new self-awareness, deeper love and compassion for others, openness to mindfulness or spirituality? Might our family have found a new balance?

An old friend who came to be with me right after Noah died hasn’t visited much since then. She was here last month, overtaken by tears at one point. “I keep thinking about Noah,” she said. “It’s so sad and there’s nothing to be done.”

So what to do? I take a hot bath in the middle of the day. I make a lot of soup. I cuddle with the dog and marvel at the chickens. I put on the last gift Noah ever gave me, a silky black shirt covered with odd little chickens. I reread a chatty letter in Noah’s careful handwriting from 2008, signed “miss you” and “love.” I remember a dream with messages flashing in hot pink and purple lettering on his memorial stone. I couldn’t read the words. But what mattered was that they were from Noah in colors I associate with his spirit. What mattered was that I felt his love.

It's been a cold, rainy winter. The star jasmine vines that usually announce the month have been slow to spill over the fence with their entrancing fragrance. I’ve been checking and the blossoms are doubling now from morning to evening. The first rock rose and California poppy are out in the garden and we are awash in backyard eggs. March sadness may be a perennial but harbingers of spring abound. What matters is to notice.



To my fellow survivors: What’s it like for you as your loved one’s deathaversary approaches? What do you notice shifting over the years? Wishing you comfort, courage and clarity as you move through your days.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Susan, your beautiful, sensitive, touching post brings once more my heart near yours. I wish you a full recovery, and
    many joyous moments, adventures and activities. It is so important that we have people who love us and we love them. David's birthday is approaching, on the 20 of March...you know how it is...Working in school and caring for my extended family, with all the problems as well as the joyous moments absorbs me most of the time. In the night I do a small prayer for all my family, my students and for David for whom I feel a tranquillity, a reassurance. Sometimes I look at his photo and without words I communicate my burdens to him. Illusion?? Why should I care?? All my love, from Greece, dear friend. Αγαπητή μου φίλη Σούζαν, περαστικά. Εύχομαι ο Θεός να σου δίνει υγεία, χαρά και παρηγοριά. Έτσι, για να μην ξεχνάς και τα Ελληνικά σου...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yia sou Vassiliki, good to hear from you. It sounds like your life is full at the moment. Maybe the loss of David feels a little lighter as the years go by--but still, of course, you feel it. I love knowing that he is always in your evening prayers and he hears your troubles--no illusion at all! Take good care,
      Me agapi, Zoe

      Delete
  2. Hello dear Susan it is 4 years on 24th March since Gareth passed and I can still barely believe what has happened some days and not sure I ever will. I too feel the change in the air, in the light which makes me feel exposed and on show almost, forced to live a life I did not ask for. The days here become longer almost instantaneously as the clock springs forward, the extended daylight exposes me almost to and arouses those same feelings when spring light arrived just after Gareth passed. It is a transitional time and I push through and assimilate the change and find courage from somewhere and from family and from friends. Thinking of you Susan and you Vassiliki as we face another new dawn. Much love Ros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ros, thanks for writing. Sending hugs across the miles during Gareth's anniversary week. A life you did not ask for, indeed. But how good to know that along with your pain, you are alive to the light of the season and that family and friends help you draw on the courage and strength within. Wishing you peace.
      In shared sorrow, Susan

      Delete