Friday, June 18, 2021

Noah's Should-Have-Been 30th Birthday: What I Like to Think ...


Photo by Noah Langholz, 2012.

It’s been 8 years since Noah left us and still sometimes I can’t believe or accept it. The other day I stumbled into a grief surge while singing the old John Prine song “Angels from Montgomery.” Lines from the chorus seized in my throat and I could only croak: Just give me one thing that I can hold on to/To believe in this living is just a hard way to go. Was that how Noah felt in the last weeks or months of his life? How could this precious child have slipped through our grasp?

June 28 will be his should-have-been 30th birthday. I can’t help dwelling in the fantasy of it: Noah appearing at our door, radiant and healthy in the prime of life. The dogs berserk at his arrival, him leaning down to rough them up. The family party we would have had in the backyard with his trademark birthday apple pie à la mode. The late-night after party he would have had with old friends from the old neighborhood, new friends we’d never met, crowded into the den to binge on wine and movies. His arm around a lover he could be himself with, no airs.

In my daydream, what happened on March 19, 2013, when he was 21 was an attempt, not a suicide. I like to think that after a scary time and setbacks in his early twenties, he would have come back to himself. I visualize him taking charge of his mental health without shame and continuing to reach out to others who were struggling. I like to think he would have quit smoking, started meditating, gone back to surfing and to backpacking with his dad.

I’m not sure he would have managed to graduate from his beloved Wesleyan. But he would have stayed in touch with far-flung college friends and visited his European friends and French host family. I imagine that after stints working on sailboats and teaching English and interning with a photographer he admired, he might have come home to Los Angeles to work in the movie industry. He would have been a quick learner, as always. By 30, maybe he would have landed a photography job with a production company and been helping friends on their independent film projects, still aspiring to be a filmmaker himself. Might he have been relieved to step into a new decade and leave behind the troubles of his twenties?

I have to believe that Noah and I would have reconciled. He would have hugged and teased me again and sat down for the occasional heart-to-heart. And he would have drawn ever closer to his older brother Ben, joining him on Himalayan treks and Burning Man installations (though Ben may not have been living overseas or making art the way he has without having lost his brother the way he did). As they moved further into adulthood, I would have so treasured times when I could cook and hike and watch films with both my beautiful boys.

It’s hard enough for parents to get used to the idea of a living child reaching the milestone of 30. When a child dies at 21, their should-have-been 30th is all the more unsettling; we have no map for the intervening years. "He was still so young," says my husband, "he could have gone in so many different directions." All I can do is let the fantasy roll with wishes for Noah’s health and happiness--and with sorrow that I’ll never get to know and love his future self

To my fellow survivors: What fantasies of your loved one come to mind as time passes since your loss? What future self do you imagine for them? I hope these thoughts of what might have been are comforting ways to stay connected.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Susan, you draw such a colourful and loving portrait of your precious boy. June 28th is/was also our son Anton's birthday. This year he would have been turning 34. Like you, I imagine all that he, and we have missed in losing him. But I cannot yet get beyond the loss, the loss of his future, and all the possibilities and opportunities that no longer exist. In particular when I see fathers carrying their young children I mourn the loss of him as a papa, he would have been so loving and playful with his children. He will not be an uncle to his nephew, who now has no aunts or uncles on his father's side. We will have no wedding to attend, no grandchildren or daughter-in-law. The family days that are now so depleted, without his huge, warm presence, will always be so. We have no map, as you say, for the intervening years between each milestone birthday, just as we have no map for our roles as parents of lost sons. I hope that one day I will fantasise about the rest of Anton's life, but for now I shut down such thoughts because they simply cause pain.

    My youngest son Stefan, witnessing my grief at losing my mum some 10 years ago, and hearing the regrets I had about how we had argued, things I had said to her that could never be unsaid, looked at me and said "Mum, look how many times we have argued, how many times you've been cross with me, yet I have never doubted your love for me, and have never loved you any less". I feel sure that whatever passed between you and Noah, in what you call an estrangement, was but a temporary thing, and would have resolved. It certainly cannot cancel out all the love you showed him for all of his life, and the knowledge he had of that love. And children know instinctively that when we are at odds with them it is because we care so much and want the best for them. Love conquers all. With love to you and all of us who have lost children, Ligia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ligia, How amazing that our two sons share a birthday! I remember that feeling you are immersed in, of mourning the future we can never have with our child. For me, that was like feeling trapped in time after the suicide--until with more time, time began to move on and the dreaded future became the present. I hope that one day when you're ready, you can begin to make friends with time and let it help soothe the pain. How lucky you are that your living son Stefan reminds you of your living bond of love with Anton.

      Delete
  2. Αχχχχ βρε Susan, what a heart wrenching thing to do , to imagine all that could be if..... I do that a lot too. I am in a similar mood and I want to share with all of you a poem by Christina Reihill that struck me as a lightning, only a few months after David's departure ( sorry, I still can not say or write either the D or the S word).
    To get the full impact of the poem I must say that he left us on the 15 of May and he had golden blond hair and bright, sea blue eyes...)

    LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD (Christina Reihill)
    Once upon a time

    I was you

    Keeping secret

    Being True

    What happened child

    Of golden hair

    What happened then

    I wasn't there

    Running wild

    Laughing free

    Bursting sun

    You reached for me

    But another won your heart

    That day

    A smiling lie

    Danced your way

    You followed him

    Into a wood

    No one saw

    The wolf in hood

    And now you stand

    And stare at me

    Your frock is stained

    Your knees are green

    How do I hold your hand and stay

    How do I heal

    That death

    In May

    This day

    This night

    This hour

    Long due

    This ink

    This page

    This prayer

    For you. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Vassiliki, thank you for sharing this poem that is so full of meaning for you. May it help you express whatever is in your heart.
    Me agapi,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful poem, thank you for sharing it Vassiliki

    ReplyDelete